Thursday, May 2, 2013

Western Exploring --Look Out Tower






         Last week again found us exploring the many trails through the woods near the WWU campus in beautiful Bellingham, Washington.  I say again, because it is such an enjoyable area to explore.  And I have several blog posts from on campus.   My personal favorite being:
http://exploreb-ham.blogspot.com/2012/10/wwu-campus-artwork-iii.html    Feel free to check them all out.   This page now has 70+ picture filled posts!  And I hope that it shows the best of the Bellingham area.    Please share the links if you enjoy what you see here!! 
     On this day I had two of our children with me, and the neighbor kiddo.  We have been to the area before, but I wanted to take my borrowed camera, and it's super duper powered zoom lens.  I tried to copy some of the same pictures I took years ago on a rare snow day, but getting the kids to stand still long enough to pose was a challenge.  Also our oldest was not with me, so it put a damper on that.   My attempts at similar pictures follow in this post.  As always I hope you enjoy this post!     Please do not forget about my first blog series---full of random rambling,  jokes, deep quotes, exploring, and coffee love :    www.wyomingjack.blogspot.com        This sight now has 350+ posts to roam through!     Enough self promotion on to the exploring!!

      Just past the parking lot--we prefer to park at the bottom of the hill and roam through the MANY trails in the woods.   One can park just feet from the look out tower though.  Anyways, just past the lower parking lot- is this great tree    well great to me.  




Looking back at the mountains in the distance.   
I would like to hike to the top of this one before we move.  But am running out of time.


Trails lead all through the trees.


And the area is marked with signs.  
But as most exploring in Whatcom -- it is easy to get lost.  
Luckily on these trails you mostly just need to head up to reach the tower.


         Similar structures can be found all around campus and Bellingham for that matter.
                   I have previously posted many pictures of habitats we have found.  
            This one was right off the trail, but is probably already gone.




If you take the right trails you will pass this old tunnel.
A passage through solid rock and time.
This is also a great spot for pictures and for yelling!
Stand near the middle of the tunnel for some great echos.






**Old picture from inside the tunnel**
Just in case you did not see the sideways date stamp from "09"


                                                      **Updated version**
                                             The child in the middle is not ours.

               


The tower peeks out through the trees!

And the view from the top....










Than time for some trail wandering and exploring.

Since it was no nearing dinner time we decided to follow the road back to our car.
Plus this route takes us through this natural arch way.




If you look closely above--you can see a tree growing straight up off of the middle of the arch.




**Old picture**




Next exploring blog is all about the Skagit Tulip Festival!





No comments:

Post a Comment